Located in Ontario and Nova Scotia, Heartland Mutual Insurance and Kings Mutual Insurance strives to be the Best Mutual. Our team of talented and dedicated professionals challenge the norm and strive to be extraordinary. It’s all about fulfilling our promise with a personal approach. With our team, you’ll bring this purpose to life every day by living our values, being open to change, and pursuing your career aspirations.
Heartland Mutual Insurance has an excellent opportunity in our Information Technology Department for a Business Analyst.
Business System Analyst – Waterloo, Ontario
What you will do…
- Contributes to a culture of innovation, actively seeking ways to enhance the capability and performance efficiency, efficacy, and success of Heartland Mutual Insurance.
- Support for our business technology which includes our policy management system, our portal, and broker connectivity solutions.
- Work effectively and collaboratively with immediate colleagues, customers (internal and external) and vendor partners.
- Lead and facilitate cross-functional teams of any size for requirements.
- Support Enhancement/Maintenance and multiple concurrent projects stream
- Collaborate with the Scrum Master/Project Manager and the team to develop and maintain the project Kanban/Product backlog, and develop the Iteration/Sprint Plan and Release plan
- Collaborate with Product Owner, Solution Lead, and Test Analyst on maintenance projects to identify sets of cohesive problems (improvement themes) for development.
- Seek, identify, and implement improvements to business processes that result in improved efficiencies, and which maintain or improve customer service and satisfaction.
- Facilitate meetings (e.g., Stand-ups, Retrospectives, Acceptance Review, etc.), as required.
- Supports the identification and resolution of Risks / Issues / Blockers in collaboration with the project/delivery team
- Gather, analyze documented business and technical requirements, and validate the needs of the business stakeholders.
- Write concise User Stories which include precise acceptance Criteria, accurate Specifications by example and testable Functional Scenarios
- Validate the correctness of delivered requirements in advance of the active business owner reviewing completed work.
- Facilitate meetings/working sessions with stakeholders to document, review and approve requirements.
- Ensure the requirements are clear and understandable by both business users and solution delivery teams.
- Assist the testing team in defining testing scenarios (including data, acceptance criteria, rules, etc.) for each requirement that is going to be delivered during an iteration.
- Ensure deliverables meet business and end-user requirements and assist in the implementation of business validation.
- Create/maintain training artefacts and provide support in delivering training sessions to operations teams or business users.
- Create/Maintain system/user documentation.
- Ensure that information systems practices conform to legal, regulatory and privacy obligations
What you will bring…
- Self-starters who can set their own priorities and can work independently with little guidance.
- Experience in property & casualty insurance.
- General knowledge of insurance business processes and processing is an asset.
- Business analysis, Lean Six Sigma, and Agile certifications are considered an asset.
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in Business and/or Systems Analysis, requirements planning and documentation.
- Experience working on Guidewire suite of products (PolicyCenter, BillingCenter, ClaimsCenter) for at least +2 years.
- Exposure to JIRA, Rally, ServiceNow and/or Sharepoint is an asset.
- End-to-end knowledge of software development lifecycles (e.g., build and release management, migration methodology)
- Established background in an Agile/scrum environment.
- Advanced experience in identifying and understanding business needs, validating with key stakeholders, and evaluating alternative solutions.
- Ability to influence and effectively negotiate with stakeholders.
- Must possess strong problem-solving and troubleshooting skills with the ability to exercise mature judgment.
- Flexible in your work approach to meet the needs of a diverse and changing work environment.
- Analytical skills to visualize, articulate, and solve problems and concepts.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office tools is required.
What we offer…
In return, we’ll give you countless opportunities to learn and grow. You’ll be empowered to be your best self, do your best work, and make a meaningful impact. Here, you can help shape the future of insurance, win as a team, and grow with us.
At Heartland our benefits are great and include not only health and dental coverage, but also a generous pension plan. All staff members share in our company’s success through our incentive plan. And with our hybrid work model, you get the best of both worlds – the ability to collaborate and connect with great colleagues and enjoy the benefits of working from home.
Intrigued? We can’t wait to hear from you!
If you have the qualifications we are seeking and would thrive in a work environment where you are valued and respected, please apply on the company website. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
A Place Where YOU Can Make a Difference! Proudly Canadian. Mutually Owned.