Located in Ontario and Nova Scotia, Heartland Mutual Insurance and Kings Mutual Insurance strives to be the Best Mutual. Our team of talented and dedicated professionals challenge the norm and strive to be extraordinary. It’s all about fulfilling our promise with a personal approach. With our team, you’ll bring this purpose to life every day by living our values, being open to change, and pursuing your career aspirations.
Heartland Mutual Insurance has an excellent opportunity in our Underwriting Department for a Manager, Personal Lines Underwriting.
Manager, Personal Lines Underwriting – Waterloo, Ontario
As Manager of Personal Lines Underwriting you will take on a leadership role by providing support,
guidance, and mentoring to team members while helping develop and execute business unit
priorities. The Personal Lines Manager ensures the department is operating at maximum efficiency,
productivity, and profitability to achieve corporate goals, objectives and service levels. The
Personal Lines Manager has remarkable communication skills and is excellent at establishing and
maintaining relationships with key partners.
What you will do…
Underwriting Portfolio Management
- Lead and manage assigned portfolio on an ongoing basis, to support the achievement of Heartland financial goals in accordance with the operational plan.
- Work within defined limits of authority, consistently provide high quality underwriting
decisions that support the achievement of Heartland financial targets in accordance with
the operational plan.
- Develop and maintain an underwriting infrastructure that consistently delivers results in
accordance with the operational plan.
- Develop and maintain a high-performance underwriting culture based on decision-making
initiatives and accountability.
- Ensure corporate reinsurance requirements are met.
- Improve efficiencies through continual re-evaluation and improvement of workflows and
- Enable team members to achieve consistent and quality underwriting decisions while
- Continually re-evaluate underwriter authority levels and broker binding authority to ensure
decision-making is made at the frontlines.
- Complete regular analysis of new business and cancellation logs to monitor trends and flow
of the portfolio. Prepare reports for the VP and develop action plans as needed.
- Coordinate and provide direction as needed for all broker/agent rehabilitations.
- Develop and continually re-evaluate underwriting guidelines to align with Heartland’s
- Handle complex underwriting referrals.
- Provide market intelligence and conduct research into current trends and emerging issues.
- Provide ongoing underwriting guidance to support and reinforce Heartland’s core
- Delegate and monitor underwriting authority appropriately within department to ensure
that decision making is effectively applied.
- Coordinate and provide training and development initiatives to consistently enhance the
quality of decision making.
Product and Pricing Management
- Participate in product & pricing development initiatives to keep Heartland competitive in
the Canadian P&C marketplace while in accordance with the corporate strategic plan.
- Develop and continually re-evaluate underwriting appetite for specific line of business with
VP and CEO, and brokers/agents.
- Develop and continually re-evaluate Heartland’s “target market” for specific line of business
to align with Heartland’s financial goals.
- Ensure that Heartland market strategies are well understood by front-line underwriting
staff and that those strategies are effectively implemented on a day-to-day basis.
- Use underwriting knowledge to make recommendations for rate structure/pricing changes
and underwriting or claims improvement.
- Support the VP and senior leadership team on special projects, requiring advanced technical
skills and knowledge as needed.
- Collaborate with the leadership team on the development and prioritization of strategic
- Maintain working knowledge of all information systems/programs with underwriting and
analyze/recommend improvements to work processes and procedures.
- Act as the lead person on all special projects and initiatives as may be required.
- Support new technology initiatives.
- Responsible for performance management including new hires, promotions and
disciplinary actions up to and including terminations.
- Fully understands the common terms, conditions and exclusions of policy coverage’s and
can recognize gaps in coverage, or exposure to loss
- Understands the political, legal and social influences on underwriting own product line, and
ensures compliance with established principles.
What you will bring…
- 10+ years of underwriting experience.
- Post-secondary education, CIP designation is an asset.
- Exemplary analytical skills and can make informed decisions.
- Ability to influence decisions and negotiate strategically.
- Enthusiasm for learning who thrives within a team or independently.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, both written and verbal.
- Proven decision-making and analytical skills.
What we offer…
In return, we’ll give you countless opportunities to learn and grow. You’ll be empowered to be your best self, do your best work, and make a meaningful impact. Here, you can help shape the future of insurance, win as a team, and grow with us.
At Heartland our benefits are great and include not only health and dental coverage, but also a generous pension plan. All staff members share in our company’s success through our incentive plan. With our in-office work model, you get the ability to collaborate and connect with great colleagues.
Intrigued? We can’t wait to hear from you!
If you have the qualifications we are seeking and would thrive in a work environment where you are valued and respected, please apply on the company website. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
A Place Where YOU Can Make a Difference! Proudly Canadian. Mutually Owned.